Contact lenses are one of the ways to allow you to enjoy the benefits of clear vision. It gives you the freedom from having to wear prescription eyeglasses. The contact lenses improve vision in near-sighted and far-sighted people by altering how light focuses on the retina when it passes through the eye. The contact lenses remain in place over the eye by the natural tears present in the eyes from lubrication.
Contact lenses have huge variety of types including color and texture. These lenses come as daily wear or disposable lenses that could be worn for a specific period of time. The different kinds of contact lenses are a combined decision of the optometrist and the patient. The ophthalmologist determines the strength and size of the lenses. They decide the best kind of the contact lenses by also discussing the need including daily lifestyle and habits. One must choose the lenses that will be the most convenient to use and will be the safest option for the eyes.
Benefits of Contact Lenses
Contact lenses have many benefits over normal prescription glasses. Here are few:
- It provides full eye coverage which enhances vision in every direction and corner.
- It does not fog up due to humidity or other weather conditions like glasses
- One can wear sunglasses, 3 d glasses etc with lenses
- It is easier to store and carry
Common Types Of Contact Lenses Available Today Include:
- Soft Contact Lenses
- Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) Contact Lenses
- Disposable/ Frequent Replacement Contact Lenses
- Toric Contact Lenses
Do’s and Don’ts to Follow with Contact Lenses
- Wash and rinse your hands thoroughly before touching contact lenses and eyes.
- Use only the recommended solutions to store and clean the lenses
- Keep the contact lenses storage container clean.
- Remember to change the solutions regularly
- Do not wear lenses if your eyes are uncomfortable or unusually red
- Never rub the eyes vigorously while wearing lenses
- Never mix up lenses of different eyes. Also, never share your contact lenses
- Make sure that the lenses are not exposed to dirt or heat
- If you drop a lens, clean again and rinse before reapplying
- Carry the storage case and solution all times if possible
- Be careful when using cosmetics, sprays while wearing your lenses as they may leave a residual film on the lens
- In case when a foreign matter enter the eye, remove, clean and replace the lenses
- Wear protective gear over lenses when exposed to dirt. For example wear swimming goggles when swimming and sunglasses when at beach
It is important to note that one can safely wear contacts for long duration but it depends on their type. It is recommended for most of the lenses to be removed prior to bed. However, extended-wear contact lenses can be worn continuously for a set length of time up to 30 days.
An eye doctor is the best person to provide with specific advice and instructions regarding the duration for which one can wear the lenses. Do consult your eye care practitioner immediately when you experience any redness, irritation and pain, change in vision, excessive tearing, light sensitivity or unusual eye secretions when wearing contact lenses.